Design Principles | Exercises


EXERCISES (20%)

WEEK 1 - WEEK 2
TIMEFRAME: JAN 9 - JAN 20




INSTRUCTIONS

 


EXERCISE BRIF

During the timeframe of Week 1 and Week 2, I am supposed to select the design principles given. To create 2 designs using 2 design principles each.

List of Design Principles given:
  1. Gestalt Theory
  2. Contrast
  3. Emphasis
  4. Balance
  5. Repetition
  6. Movement
  7. Harmony & Unity
  8. Symbol
  9. Word and Image


VISUAL RESEARCH

GESTALT THEORY: FIGURE GROUND

Figure ground is a perception for the human cognition to distinguish the visual aspect of the main object and the background. The object referred 'figure' while the background being referred 'ground.'


Fig 1.1 Image from a blog by Joe Hensley


Fig 1.2 Illustration from Pinterest


GESTALT THEORY: CLOSURE

Closure is a visual strategy testing the human ability to use their imagination to fill in the missing details of the artwork. It helps people to see the bigger picture rather the details.

Fig 1.3 Illustration from Pinterest


Fig 1.4 Illustration from a blog by Eric Kim



REPETITION

Repetition means when curtain elements such as lines, shape, color are used repeatedly to form a diverse range of patterns or the create a rhythm.


Fig 1.5 Illustration from Pinterest


Fig 1.6 Illustration from Pinterest


UNITY

It means combining various design elements that are similar to one another together, to create a create a complete piece.


Fig 1.7 Illustration from Pinterest


Fig 1.8 Illustration from Pinterest



DESIGN PROGRESS & IDEA EXPLORATION

DRAWING #1: "MAIN ATTRACTION" 

DESIGN PRINCIPLE: REPETITION

I come up with the idea around the theme of a person's identity. I decided to use fashion as my main subject as, within the fashion industry, it is a very targeted industry, self-image, comfort, confidence and fashion goes hand in hand. So, I did some research on fashion magazines covers to find a model for my design and illustrations that will further enhance my work.


REFERNCE MODEL 

Fig 2.1 Unknown Model from Lanafia


INSPIRATION

Fig 2.2 Evil Eye Bracelets 


Fig 2.3 Turkish Lamps


Fig 2.4 Vogue magazine cover illustrated by Eduardo Garcia Benito


I drafted an unknown Muslim model as a reference, the eyes on hijab of the Muslim model are inspired by the evil eye beads on a bracelet and the shape of the eyes is model after the Turkish lamp. The eyes signify the stares of the masses, it evokes attention. I use the repetition principle on the eye to represent the public. Also, the lanky elements are inspired by the Vogue Magazine cover because I want to give the hijab a wavy effect to grab the viewers' attention.


Fig 2.5 Sketches of deconstructing item into shapes


Fig 2.6 Sketches on forming the pattern


Fig 2.7 "Main Attraction" Draft 



DRAWING #2: "DEATH BY BREATH" 

As for the second drawing it focuses on the theme of a no smoking policy. I have created three sketch drafts using different design principles.


DRAFT 1 DESIGN PRINCIPLE: GROUND FIGURE

In Draft 1, illustrated in Figure 4.1 Death by Breath, I was inspired by the simplistic design of the gestalt theory: figure ground. I drew the cigarette smoke in the shape of skull to symbolize death if people continue the habit.


INSPIRATION

Fig 3.1 Figure Ground illustration by Noma Bar


DRAFT 2 DESIGN PRINCIPLE: CLOSURE

For Draft 2, illustrated in Figure 4.1 Death by Breath, I used the closure element in gestalt theory, to illustrate one of the effects of smoking which is lung cancer. The replacement the actual lung with balloons is inspired by the lung balloon experiment made by children, and the cracked balloons serve as metaphor for lung cancer.

INSPIRATION

Fig 3.2 Silhouette of a Girl Smoking by Martin Janecek


Fig 3.3 Balloon Lung Experiment


DRAFT 3 DESIGN PRINCIPLE: UNITY

Lastly, for draft 3 illustrated in Figure 4.1 Death by Breath, I used unity principle to create a cartoon to grab viewers' attention. the design is inspired by the psychedelic underground street art to depict the audience on how smoking can affect people physically. And I drew the cigarette cloud as hands to exaggerate the fact that smoking causes death.


 INSPRATION

Fig 3.4 Acido Folklorico Enfermo by Iconblast


Fig 3.5 Marge Simpson by Dave Bell


Fig 3.6 Psyco Dudes by Galo


Fig 3.7 "Death by Breath" Drafts

I decided to pick Draft 1, illustrated in Figure 4.1 Death by Breath, as my final second drawing. But I was left unsatisfied so, I upgraded its composition to make it less literal. I have done two more composition drawing using the same principle which is gestalt theory: figure ground.



"DEATH BY BREATH" DRAFT 1 REVAMPED VER. 

VER NO.1

INSIPRATION

Fig 4.1 Skull Cloud by Laura Barbosa


Fig 4.2 Mask from Scream

The skull is inspired by the 'Skull Cloud' Illustration by Laura Barbosa, I replaced the teeth with cigarettes, and I play around with the volume of the waves to make the cloud distinguish itself. The shape of the eyes is inspired by the mask in the movie Scream to give a depressed look.

Fig 4.3 Draft 1: Revamped Ver. 1



VER NO.2

Fig 4.4 Dead Cloud Logo by Gregory Grigoriou


Fig 4.5 Draft 1: Revamped Ver. 2



FEEDBACK

Mr. Charles suggested that the hijab from Drawing 1 needs to be extended and more exaggerated to make my character stand out a bit more given the fact it is about people showing off their lavish lifestyle. 

As for Drawing 2, I showed Mr. Charles, my three drafts and he said that; Draft 1 has nothing much going on, Draft 2 has some potential only he didn't like the idea of the cigarette hanging from the mouth, and Draft 3 there is no design principle being identified but suggested the idea of the Draft 3 character being trap in a smoking purgatory.

 Now that I know Mr. Charles comments on Draft 1, I presented my two revamped version of Draft 1, he liked the idea of cigarettes for teeth in Revamp Version No.1 but he wanted the cloud to be extended For Revamp Version No.2 that cloud lightning bolt doesn't create a stronger context compared to Revamp Version No.1.




FINAL DRAWING

When constructing this final drawing I tried to change the art style by referencing make-up on supermodels and by using design elements from multiple vogue illustration instead of only one vogue illustration.

Fig 5.1 "Main Attraction" Final


I used the one of the Revamped Version of Draft 1. I did a few changes by extending the smoke and making the skull rounder and skinnier. I even add text that is overlapped by the smoke. 


Fig 5.2 "Death by Breath" Final

REFLECTION

From this exercise, I learnt about gestalt theory which is something I haven't heard of until now. It is interesting to learn that to create a good design, I must understand the human perception to visualize my design and how we can tie up loose ends of an image just by using our imagination. 

By being exposed to all the different design principles, there are some areas that I am exploring such as Unity and Harmony principle. It is the concept of compiling different types of objects but making them relate to each other as a whole. To me the unity and harmony principle is confusing because the usage is very conflicting.

Comments