Publishing Design | Task 2

6.5.2026 - 20.5.2026 (Week 1 - Week 6)
Caitlin Ong Lynn Dee / 0343801 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Publishing Design
Task 2


LECTURE

Refer to Task 1:

INSTRUCTION



Task 2 / Content Generation

Story Content

From Task 1, we were task to write a narrative at a minimum of 3000 words. From there, were tasked to highlight all 16 contents that will be translated into a book.

Fig 1.1 Text Formatting 3K words


Visual, Layout & Color Palette References

Initial Version 
Next Mr. Vinod also tasked us to find visual reference for our illustration and book layout and color palette. For the illustration reference, I wanted it to be surreal and depressing to reflect he protagonist mental state. The color palette I have chosen will mainly use black and white along with either red or blue to be used as an accent color. As for the book layout reference, I picked the one that has the pull quote that pops up to your face with distinct colors.

Fig 1.2 Initial Illustrations References

Fig 1.3 Initial Color Platte References

Fig 1.4 Initial Book Formant References

Final Version 
Later, I soon realized the book layout I was working on, traces all the way back in Task 1, when we created a mockup. I did not realize nor planned it any sooner, so I picked up some reference that is more realistic based on my skills and my limitations to work on my book layout and illustrations. 

Fig 1.5 Initial Illustrations References

Fig 1.6 Reject Book Formant References


Fig 1.7 Final Book Formant References


Visual Creation Process

Planning
From there, I write down all phrase needed for visualization break it down to its keywords. And twisted around to its symbolized form for the visuals.

Fig 2.1 Book Visual Planning

Sketches
Afterward, I sketched out all the illustrations. Once that is completed, I worked on the illustration on Procreate. One of my initial plans is to have the illustration to be in black and white but I stumbled on a hurdle as Mr. Vinod has requested to print out the draft in black and white and then in later in color.


Fig 2.2 Book Visual Sketches Page 1

Fig 2.3 Book Visual Sketches Page 2

Fig 2.4 Book Visual Sketches Page 3

Fig 2.5 Book Visual Sketches Page 4

Fig 2.6 Book Visual Sketches Page 5


Draft

Fig 2.7 Book Visual Draft on Procreate 

Fig 2.8 Book Visual Draft Thumbnail

Final
I added color, which is off white and blue to give it a melancholic feel. With that concept, it does not stray away from the original plan.


Fig 2.9 Final Color Palette

Fig 2.10 Final Book Visual on Procreate 


Once all of visuals are completed, I loaded all the visuals into an A3 page, creating a thumbnail showcasing all of the visuals.


Fig 2.11 Final Book Visual Thumbnail


Final Outcome

Individual Visuals 

Fig 3.1 Final Book Visual 1

Fig 3.2 Final Book Visual 2

Fig 3.3 Final Book Visual 3

Fig 3.4 Final Book Visual 4

Fig 3.5 Final Book Visual 5

Fig 3.6 Final Book Visual 6

Fig 3.7 Final Book Visual 7

Fig 3.8 Final Book Visual 8

Fig 3.9 Final Book Visual 9

Fig 3.10 Final Book Visual 10

Fig 3.11 Final Book Visual 11

Fig 3.12 Final Book Visual 12

Fig 3.13 Final Book Visual 13

Fig 3.14 Final Book Visual 14

Fig 3.15 Final Book Visual 15

Fig 3.16 Final Book Visual 16

Visual Thumbnails


Fig 3.17 Final Book Visual Thumbnail JPEG

Fig 3.18 Final Book Visual Thumbnail PDF


FEEDBACK

Week 4
General Feedback:

  • Finish creating your visuals
  • The one I did Inde
Specific Feedback:
  • Embed 3k text on E-portfolio
  • Finsih and add Classical Grid Structure in E-portfolio


Week 5
General Feedback:
  • Mr Vinod showed the way to scale the 16 illustrations. 

Specific Feedback:
  • The formant I did InDesign is wrong 



Week 6
General Feedback:
  • Public Holiday

Specific Feedback:
  • Public Holiday


Week 7
General Feedback:
  •  Mr. Vinod gave us time to create the thumbnails and explained how to make them

Specific Feedback:
  • In a state of confusion, tried to draft the layout of visuals but Mr Vinod says we ate not at the stage yet. 


Week 8
General Feedback:
  •  Mr. Vinod guided us to complete 32-page book layout during class. He asked us to continue exploring and experimenting with colour application in the layout.

Specific Feedback:
  • Mr Vinod advised me to complete the visuals


Week 9
General Feedback:
  •  Public Holiday

Specific Feedback:
  • Public Holiday


    REFLECTION

    Experience
    It was a very turbulent experience because there are some parts that I overlooked and misunderstood and new rules added. Some parts I did not take time to look through further, as some requirements are locked in when I created the mockup book from Task 1. 

    Observation
    If I understood better to connection between Task 1 and Task 2 better, I may have looked into it differently.

    Findings
    When it comes to looking for references, I became overly ambitious and should have set things more achievable for myself.

    Comments