Publishing Design | Task 3

20.5.2026 - 15.7.2026 (Week 5 - Week 13)
Caitlin Ong Lynn Dee / 0343801 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Publishing Design
Task 3


LECTURE


INSTRUCTION



Task 3A / Book

Book Content & Visuals

Task 3 is a continuation of Task 1 and Task 2. In Task 1 the content for the book was done. I also had to determine the size of the book. I highlighted 16 phases that will be translated into visuals. Task 2 is where I created the 16 visuals for the book. 

Fig 1.1 Text Formatting 3K words



Fig 1.2 Final Book Visual Thumbnail PDF


Book Layout Process

Book Layout Draft 1 (Introduction & Chapter 1)
From here I set up the number of columns and the margin size of book.  To help me indicate the correct layout, I only layout the pages from introduction page to Chapter One. However, there was some glaring flaws, according to Mr Vinod, I should stick to one type of column for consistency. The font type of the body text, subtext and headline must stay consistent.  Although the pull quote can differ in size, Mr Vinod advised not to be too drastically different.

Fig 2.1 Book Layout Draft 1 Margin a & Columns Measurement
|
Fig 2.2 Book Layout Draft 1 Layout Grid Preview

Fig 2.3 Book Layout Draft 1 Layout Thumbnail


Book Layout Draft 2 (Full Content)
Further along, I adjusted the layout but this time I completed the layout for all chapters. Mr Vinod also highlighted a few issues, the side margin is too small, it must be 10-15mm in margin. The reason for this is to reduce margin error during printing. He also highlighted that in some pages, how I place my texts is inconsistent. I have also made a mistake on the first page and the last page as covers. I accidentally place the last page with barcodes.

Additionally, Mr Vinod advised me to design the cover in a separate file because the cover design is 2mm bigger than the pages inside. This is to accommodate the cutting of the book. In the final result of the layout of the book, I adjusted the both the column row and margin size further. 

Fig 3.1 Book Layout Draft 2 Margin a & Columns Measurement

Fig 3.2 Book Layout Draft 2 Layout Grid Preview

Fig 3.3 Book Layout Draft 2 Layout Thumbnail Page 1

Fig 3.3 Book Layout Draft 2 Layout Thumbnail Page 2


B&W Physical Mockup Test
Once I complete the layout, I did some testing on the physical mockup, I print out the layout in black and white, to focus more on the layout itself; and it came a few problems when the spreads are printed the page are separated a part creating a big gap on the middle. Because of that I have to be care on how I placed the images on the middle.


Fig 3.4 B&W Physical Mockup Test Gap on in the Middle Error Spread 1

Fig 3.5 B&W Physical Mockup Test Gap on in the Middle Error Spread 2

Fig 3.6 B&W Physical Mockup Test Gap on in the Middle Error Spread 3


Final Book Layout (
Full Content)


Fig 4.1 Final Book Layout Margin a & Columns Measurement


Fig 4.2 Final Book Layout Grid Preview

Fig 4.3 Final Book Layout Thumbnail Page 1

Fig 4.4 Final Book Layout Thumbnail Page 2

Colored Physical Mockup Test
On the second round of printing, I test on printed color outcome. Like the last time I run the into some issues the page sequence meaning out of order due to the printer not recognizing the blank pages on the first few pages.

Fig 4.5 Colored Physical Mockup Test Page Sequences Error Spread 1

Fig 4.6 Colored Physical Mockup Test Page Sequences Error Spread 2

Fig 4.7 Colored Physical Mockup Test Page Sequences Error Spread 3

Fig 4.8 Colored Physical Mockup Test Page Sequences Error Spread 4


Book Cover Design Process

Book Cover Design Draft
With the inside pages done, I started designing the book cover. First draft I drew the entire family with the parents’ heads as skulls. From there, Mr Vinod, advised me that the back cover should follow the same alignment as the inside page. He added that I should experiment the placement of the book cover illustration.

Fig 5.1 Book Cover Design Draft Variant 1

Fig 5.2 Book Cover Design Draft Variant 2

Fig 5.3 Book Cover Design Draft Variant 3

Fig 5.4 Book Cover Design Draft Variant 4

Fig 5.5 Book Cover Design Draft Variant 5


Final Book Cover Design 
However, no matter how I tried to do different arrangements, it does not seem to work. I created a new illustration, that way the design from the back cover to the front cover is seamless. Then finally I printed the mockup of the book.

Fig 5.6 Final Book Cover Design


Final Book Layout

Final Book Layout Thumbnail

Fig 6.1 Final Book Layout Thumbnail PDF

Final E-book
Click this link if embed doesn't work


Fig 6.2 Final E-book in Fliphtml5 

 Final Physical Mockup
Fig 6.3 Final Physical Mockup Front View

Fig 6.4 Final Physical Mockup Front Isometric View

Fig 6.5 Final Physical Mockup Back View

Fig 6.6 Final Physical Mockup Back Isometric View

Fig 6.7 Final Physical Mockup Spread 1

Fig 6.8 Final Physical Mockup Spread 2

Fig 6.9 Final Physical Mockup Spread 3

Fig 6.10 Final Physical Mockup Cover 


Task 3B / Video Publishing

Storyboards

Draft
For the book promo video, I want to portray the family as Matryoshka dolls to make the animation process easier. While conveying the core aspect of the books plot more accurately.

The video will start off by introducing the family one by one, they will be loving at first until the mood changes when parents show their sinister side scaring the child.

Fig 7.1 Book Promo Video Storyboard Draft Page 1

Fig 7.2 Book Promo Video Storyboard Draft Page 2

Final

Upon hearing from Mr. Vinod that we are allowed to use existing assets from the book; it allows me to save a lot of time. So, I have reworked the structure of the video with the exiting assets I had.

Fig 7.3 Final Book Promo Video Storyboard Page 1

Fig 7.4 Final Book Promo Video Storyboard Page 2

Animations Process

Creating the Scenes
Once I am finally done with creating the storyboard I use After Effect to create the promo video. First, I created the scenes and use the Proportional Grid to properly layout each of the scenes.



Fig 8.1 Creating Scenes in After Effects

Organizing Scenes
Next, I combined all of the scenes together and made some adjustments to the timeline to each and every scene. Some scenes have to be cut out for a faster pacing.

Fig 8.2 Organizing Scenes in After Effects

Adding Music & Sound Effects 
Finally, I added in the music and sound effects of the video

Fig 8.3 Adding and Editing Music in After Effects

Fig 8.4 Adding and Editing Sound Effects in After Effects


Final Book Promo Video


Final Outcome

Final Book Layout Thumbnail

Fig 9.1 Final Book Layout Thumbnail PDF


Final E-book

 Final Physical Mockup
Fig 9.3 Final Physical Mockup Front View


Fig 9.4 Final Physical Mockup Front Isometric View

Fig 9.5 Final Physical Mockup Front Back View

Fig 9.6 Final Physical Mockup Back Isometric View

Fig 9.7 Final Physical Mockup Spread 1


Fig 9.8 Final Physical Mockup Spread 2


Fig 9.9 Final Physical Mockup Spread 3


Fig 9.10 Final Physical Mockup Cover 

Final Book Promo Video


FEEDBACK

Week 10
General Feedback:
  •  Took leave 

Specific Feedback:

Task 3A

      • Caitlyn body text in the introduction is one column, but in the chapters, it is two columns. Stick to two columns for both. Once you set body text width, subtext width, headline placement and size, it must remain the same, so the reader is not confused at what he’s looking at.
      • For pull quotes you can vary size but not too drastically.
      • Please continue to complete the subsequent chapters, including the reference page.
      • In total you must ensure the number of pages must be divisible by 4 (32, 36, 40 etc.)
      • Next week when you come to class, please print the black and white mockup at actual size.
      • I have just completed marking task 1 and 2 for the class, can you pls complete uploading your task 2. I need to mark it. That’s all.


      Week 11
      General Feedback:
      • Show Storyboard or Animatics in next week's class
      Specific Feedback:

        Task 3A

            • You must have at least a 10-15mm margin. 15 better. The reason for this is when the printer prints your book, there will be a margin of error (it might get cropped because it’s too close to the edge)
            • If you have 2 column layouts, the stick to 2 columns. Don’t place the text in the middle of the two columns
            • Not that the first and last pages in this document are NOT your cover. These are your inside pages. So, when you open the cover of your book, the first page you see is the first page in the document.
            • The last page cannot contain the barcode or summary because the barcode only features in the back of the cover.
            • Design your cover (front back, inside front and inside back) in a separate file and print it separately or give the printer the file separately, they will know what to do. The cover doc. and the inside pages doc. Must be two separate files.
            • The cover file is 2mm bigger than the inside pages. This is to accommodate the cutting.
            • The book mockup is book is good but fix the paragraphing of the subtext in page 6
            • Book covers are generally harder and thicker than the inside pages 


            Week 12
            General Feedback:
            • In the video don't include book links use QR codes instead
            Specific Feedback:

            Task 3A

              • Back cover follows the same alignment and type size as the inside pages
              • For the front cover try and few more versions where the illustration is cropped so that you don’t see so much blue and this will offset the blue in the back cover,
              • try varying sizes of the front cover illustration and don’t be afraid to crop it.
              • No need to create new assets for the book promo video 


              Week 13
              General Feedback:
              •  Took leave 
              Specific Feedback:

              Task 3B

              • Beautiful. Nice work. 
              • Pls complete your all portfolio.


              REFLECTION


              Experience 
              It was a hectic experience, trying to translate what is on the screen to printing. I went through various stages of trial and error. At the same time, it was rewarding as I get to see my own book. I always wanted to learn how to create and design a layout of a book. especially when I am dyslectic. It allows me to be creative, from what I initially thought Publishing Design was a boring form of design.

              Observation
              Creating a design within the grid was no easy task because sometimes it can be restricted to a very strict structure and this restricts creativity. It can he challenging to strike a balance between readability and creative structure. During the whole process, I find it a challenge to tackle structuring the sub text and pull quotes. 

              Findings
              Due to the fact, the book is in a custom size, it challenging to print and cut it to the way it is required. It was the first time I had to work with people outside the campus to accommodate the timeline to print. Finding out the right reference can pose a challenge, as most editorial design mostly had photos and not illustration. When it comes to the actual printing a book, the printing settings do not seem to print what is saved. 

              Comments