Design Principles | Project 1


PROJECT 1 (40%)

WEEK 3 - WEEK 4
TIMEFRAME: JAN 23 - FEB 3






INSTRUCTION

 




PROJECT 1 BRIF

In project 1 my task is to create a self-portrait by using the design principles that I have learn in the exercise. I also have to implement one of my self-characteristics in the self-portrait and I need to record my finding in sketches, photography or video recordings. I can use any medium that I wanted.


DESIGN PROGRESS & IDEA EXPLORATION

SKETCHES

DESIGN PRINCIPLE: CONTRAST

For my self-characteristics, I was thinking of using banana related elements in my self-portrait to references the 'banana' slang word used by the Chinese descent community. This metaphor is a reflection of my challenges on learning a new language beside English due to my Dyslexia.

When developing the first concept, I decided to add in a ghost as a reference to the Cantonese slang "Gweilo" which means white ghost literal translation. This slang refers to the Caucasian race. I had this idea where my head is peeled off like a banana reveling a ghost full of texts. The shape of the ghost in version #1 is inspired by the Galerie Tallie de Saint Tropez Poster by Rene Gruau. Where else the ghost shape in version#2 is inspired by the wavy patterns of Ondarra Club 16 BIS Poster from Pinterest. And the text in the ghost is inspired by the Reiji Sheet Music Cover from Japan in 1930.


CONCEPT 1

INSPRITION

Fig 1.1 Galerie Tallie de Saint Tropez Poster by Rene Gruau


Fig 1.2 Ondarra Club 16 BIS Poster from Pinterest


Fig 1.3 Reiji Sheet Music Cover

Fig 1.4 Design Concept #1 Sketch


CONCEPT 2

For the second concept, I rectified the first concept. By making the peel effect more subtle and the ghost less literal. So, I developed the concept of me having my face peeled off from a banana peel reveling a skeleton to have that ominous feeling like a ghost. And the skeleton is covered in text.

Fig 1.5 Design Concept #2 Sketch


CONCEPT 3

My third concept sketch was inspired by the famous image from the French short film called "Trip to the moon" by Georges Melies from 1902, where two bananas are pierce through my eyes admitting a cloud of words. Replacing the ghost to prevent clutter.

 INSPRITION

Fig. 1.6 "Trip to the Moon" by Georges Melies



Fig. 1.7 Design Concept #3 Sketch


DRAFT

On my first draft, I made the background and myself black and white to contrast with the bright color of the banana and the cloud of words. I stylize in a pop art style to create an emphasis on the banana and the cloud of words.



Fig 2.1 First Draft


FEEDBACK

Mr. Charles praised the idea of the self-parodying humor implanted in my work and the clear contrast of the banana. But he also suggested making the banana brighter and giving the words a better sense of hierarchy.


FINAL DRAWING

In the final Self Portrait, I zoomed in myself so I can make the cloud bigger. I replaced the background of my house in favor to a newspaper collage background to further highlight the fact that I can only read and understand English. After the feedback provided by Mr. Charles, I changed the arrangement of the words, and I implemented different colors to show how diverse different languages are. Lastly, I gave the cloud a rubber stamp texture to blend in with the newspaper background.

Fig 2.2 Final Self Portrait Drawing

 REFLECTION

From Week 3 to Week 4, I learnt that there are thousands of opportunities to sprinkle unique characteristics on a Self Portrait other that just creating a carbon copy of yourself. I don't have to make my face realistic and furthermore I don't have to be traditional, to be the focal point of the picture, I can position the self-portrait in any camera angle. And it is not essential to show the whole entire face, I can show it partially.

Comments