Illustration and Visual Narrative | Project 1

7.4.2023 - 19.5.2023 (Week 1-Week 7)
Caitlin Ong Lynn Dee / 0343801 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Illustration and Visual Narrative
Project 1: Exercise 


CONTENTS

1. Lectures

2. Instruction 

3. Submission
  • Project 1/Exercise 1: Vormator Character
    • Draft 1
    • Develpoment of the Final Work
    • Final Outcome
  • Exercise 2: Illustrated Typography
    • Final Outcome

4. Feedback

5.. Reflection


LECTURES

Week 1: 

On Week 1, Mr Zamri brief the entire class about the module and what project are we going to cover. Project 1 is where we do 2 different exercises; the first exercise is where I have to create Vormator Character using a limited number of shapes without distorting the shapes. The second exercise is where I make an illustration that compliment with the word generated by the Pictionary Generator. Project 2 is where I participate in the MyTIGER Values Art Competition to design a poster based on 12 Sutainable Development Goals. Lastly for Project 3 my task is where I choose a story from a website and create 3 panels. 


Fig 1.1 The Bezier game


Fig 1.2 Vormator Shapes

Technical recap:
Mr Zamri encourage us to part take on an online game called Bezier game to help us master the pen tool on Adobe illustration. In the Bezier game is the player’s job to use the pen tool to trace a specific shape with limited number of anchor points. Before we begin Exercise 1 Mr Zamri told us to practice using the pen tool to trace the set of shapes given for Exercise 1.

Week 2
Technical recap:
In class we pick up from Week 1, we learnt different ways on how to create shapes other than using the Pen Tool. We use the basic shapes from Illustrator and combine them using the Pathfinder tool or the Shape builder Tool. The Shape builder tool can also be used to divide shapes. An alternative way to create a round shape is by using the Pen Tool to draw a geometric shape and then use the Curve Tool to smoothen the edges. At we watch a video on Character design by Ms. Ismail 



Fig 1.3 Character design video by Ms. Ismail 



Principles of Stylized Design:
  • Iconic
  • Simplicity
  • Unique

Principles of Character Design:

  • Shapes
  • Color
  • Emphasis & Contrast
  • Harmony
  • Expression


Week 3:
We have no class due to Hari Raya. But Mr. Zamri provides us a video about color. He introduces the Adobe color wheel that will help us experiment different color schemes. The color scheme can be saved in the swatch library in Illustrator.


Fig 1.4 Color Schemes


Week 4:
Ms. Ismail came to our class to give us a briefing on our next project, Exercise 2: Illustration Typography and Project 2 where we will enter the MyTIGER Value Art competition.

Technical Recap:
Mr. Zamri showed us how to use Pencil Tool on Illustrator, he gave us some tutorial on Teams to help us master to Pencil. Unlike the Pen Tool the Pencil Tool allows a hand drawn experience and is more flexible compared to the Pen Tool.


Fig 1.5 Pencil tool Practice No.1 

Fig 1.5 Pencil tool Practice No.2

Week 5
Technical Recap:
Mr. Zamri taught us how to convert 2D objects into 3D object in Illustrator, he provided us exercises and a step-by-step video to help us to master the 3D tool.

Fig 1.6 3D Rainbow 

Week 6
There is no tutorial. Ms. Ismail checked our progression on Exercise 2 Illustrated Typography and My Tiger poster we submitted. drafts and current work for Illustration Typograph. As for My TIGER we submitted our research, mood board and sketches.  

Week 7 
Canceled Class


INSTRUCTION

 


Project 1/Exercise 1: Vormator Character
I was tasked to create a unique charter using a set of shape given using Adobe Illustrator


Fig 2.1 Vormator Shape set

Fig 2.2 Shape Practice from Week 1 & Week 2

The challenges are:

  1. Can rotate, flip and duplicate the shapes.
  2. Not obliged to use all the shapes.
  3.  Can scale size, but only proportionally.
  4. No skewing or free transform
  5. No altering the original shapes
  6. Can add, subtract, intersect, and group elements as you see fit.
  7. Unlimited color use
  8. Can use gradients and texture.
  9. NO OUTLINE STROKES!
  10. No background


Draft 1
I draft my first Vomator Character inspired by Momo from Avatar and Porg from Stars Wars however, this idea didn't turn out well because the mix as the features make myself more confused. And it doesn't have a sense of an identity. 



Fig 3.1 Right: Porg , Left: Momo Left (15/4/2023)

Fig 3.2 Draft 1 Sketch (15/4/2023)



Fig 3.3 Draft 1 Digitalization (15/4/2023)


Develpoment of the Final Work

Sketches & Inspiration
Reference from my senior work Kuan Tze Earn (03377622), I took inspiration from Remy from one of my favorite Pixer movie “Ratatolie” and I sketch my ideas.


Fig 3.4 Remy from Ratatouille (15/4/2023)


Fig 3.5 Rat Sketch (15/4/2023)

After Ms. Ismail’s video about character design. I studied more about charter design online, eventually my charter evolves by putting a beetle horn on its head in order to make a recognizable sillhouette. The horn displays a sense of power on the weak character like a rat. While sketching I experiment to different types of proportions. 


Fig 4.1 Beelte Horn Reference (22/4/2023)


Fig 4.2 Body variation Sketch (22/4/2023)


Construction Phase
I tried to construct the character using shapes in illustrator at that stage I keep the original colour intact to help me identify what shapes are used.

Fig 4.3 Contruction Phase (22/4/2023)


Modification Phase 
I change the shape color to monochrome to help me settled on the color tone. I made some minor modification to the character to smoothen jiggered edges.


Fig 4.4 Modification Phase (22/4/2023)


Color Coordination Phase 
I did my 1st attempt at adding a color scheme color, but it is not satisfied with it

Fig 4.5 Color Coordination Phase:1st attempt (22/4/2023)


I experimented with different color schemes, and I use interior design color scheme image found on the internet.


Fig 4.6 Color Coordination Phase: Experimentation (22/4/2023)




I go thought a selection phase where I choose the color that I liked, and I pick the suitable one for the final


Fig 4.7 Color Coordination Phase: Selection with Reference (22/4/2023)



Finalized Phase 
Finally, I choose the red and green color scheme and I add the shadow.                 


Fig 4.8 Finalized Phase: Final Color (22/4/2023)


Final Outcome
This is the number of shapes I used in the final version. I use 1 zerk, 11 drops, 5 badge, 4 bars, 7 wurst and 9 tentacles.

Fig 5.1 Shapes Used (22/4/2023)


Fig 5.2 Final Design (22/4/2023)



Fig 5.3 Final Design Outline (22/4/2023)




Exercise 2: Illustrated Typography
In Exercise 2: Illustrated Typography I am tasked to use the Pictionary generator: Pictionary Generator (randomwordgenerator.com) from there I need to design the typography using the outcome of the words.

Pictionary Generator Link:


The challenges are:
  1. The illustrations and words complement each other.
  2. The design makes sense.
  3. Use non-decorative fonts as the base of the design.

My Pictionary Generator words:

Fig 6.1 Pictionary Generator words (7/5/2023)


I started sketching the words. I played around with the letter by converting it into eyes, mouth, or a banjo. Sometimes I put a literal picture into the word.

Fig 6.2 Typography Sketches (7/5/2023)

During digitization phase use ISOCTEUR (Regular) font for stage 1 and 2. I used the pencil tool to change the shape of the letter and I use the direct selection tool to smoothen the sides. In stage 1 I joined the descender of the letter Y and the ascender of letter b. In stage 2 join the letter H & A. In stage 3 I change the font to Nanum Gothic (Semilight) font I use letter H to form a smile 

Fig 6.3 Evolution of Typography design (7/5/2023)


On Draft 1, I use the warm color to emit a nostalgic atmosphere.

Fig 6.4 Draft 1 (7/5/2023)

For the final I did visual research for a vintage western style vibe 

Fig 6.5 Visual Research from Pinterest (7/5/2023)

Final Outcome
For the Final I made the word 3D to make it pop, change background color to blue and put a simple ornament to guide the viewers’ eyes.

Fig 7.1 Final Illustrated Typography (7/5/2023)

Fig 7.2Fig 7.1 Final Illustrated Typography Outline (7/5/2023)



FEEDBACK

Week 2:
  • Mr. Zamri said that my digitalization of sketch #1 look good and the charter look more like Momo from Avatar. 
  • For Sketch #1 the character looks like a character from Cuphead. 
  • Sketch #2 make the head bigger and I need to be considerate the character’s body proportions.
  • Mr. Zamri gave advise me not to use multiple inspiration. Using 1 or 2 is enough.

 Week 6:
  • The draft for illustrated typography looks good.
  • the letter H must be thinner. To be constant with other letters


REFLECTION

Experience 
When using Illustrator, I find it overwhelming to learn the tools and hidden tools. This Exercise give me exposed on how to create a good character design. It taught me that simple shape can determine a charter personality. The Vomator character help me to test my creativity by using a limited number of resources. Same goes with the Illustrated Typography

Observation
The lecture helps me to explore more on how to use the tools on Illustrator. My lectures and my friend are willy to help if I am stuck with a certain area. I always help me to observes my classmates during class to see if I am on the right track and to give me inspiration.

Findings
I find the Vomator character exercise to be difficult, because with the limit amount the shapes it is hard to visualize the full picture of the overall design of my character. Even when I am sketching. 

Comments