Information Design | Exercises

7.2.2024 - 14.2.2024 (Week 1 - Week 2)
Caitlin Ong Lynn Dee / 0343801 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Information Design
Exercises


CONTENTS 


LECTURE


INSTRUCTION




Exercise 1: Quantify & Visualize Data

This Exercise is where we are allowed to pick any chosen item (the content can be buttons, candies, coins etc.). It has to be categorized and present it in an infographic manner. According to Mr. Shamsul the composition must be visually appealing.


Fig 1.1 Visual Representation of Data collection (7/2/2024)

I have chosen buttons for my data collection. With a total of 102. ranging from different colors, sizes, and material. Since there total 13 categories. It makes it complicated to figure out how to create a good composition.

Fig 1.2 Categorizing all of the buttons (7/2/2024)


Fig 1.3 Draft 1 (7/2/2024)

Mr. Shamsul suggested that we used an existing infographic work as inspiration for our work I search though Pinterest to find the right inspiration.



Fig 1.4 Infographic poster from Pinterest (7/2/2024)


Fig 1.5 Draft 2 (7/2/2024)

Fig 1.6 Draft 3 from class (7/2/2024)

I wasn't satisfied with the result I did in class I create and new composition. since the buttons I use previously is has too many categories I decide to only use 5 categories. I use a different poster for inspiration.

Fig 1.7 Salmon Infographic from Pinterest (7/2/2024)

Final Outcome

Fig 1.8 Final Composition (9/2/2024)



Exercise 2: L.A.T.C.H

We are tasked to gather data and organize it in the form of an infographic poster. Additionally, the poster must utilize the LATCH principles. Which stands for Location / Alphabet / Time / Category / Hierarchy. The kind of data Mr. Shamsul recommend using is the Pokedex, FFIV Bestiary, Dinosaur or anything we want. We have use digital photo editing/illustration software to create the infographic poster.

Requirements: 

  • Infographic poster size 1240 x 1750 pixels or 2048 x 2048 pixels 
  • The data has to be a minimum of 4.
Link to websites of data collection:

Sketches

I choose to use Pokémon as my source of data, and I decided to focus on the Pokémon that lives on the Kalos region. I often look at my senior work or infographics from the internet as references. I have made seven sketches to determine the final concept.

Fig 2.1 Illustrations from Pinterest (14/2/2024)


Fig 2.2 Sketch in class (14/2/2024)


Fig 2.3 Updated Sketches (14/2/2024)


Data Collection

For the data I pick out specific Pokémon to be featured in my infographic Pokémon they are categorized by different types.

  • Chesipin - Grass Type
  • Fennekin - Fire Type 
  • Froafie - Water Type
  • Mareep - Eletric Type
  • Swirlix - Fairy Type

Wireframe

I selected four sketches to help me limit my options. I created a wireframe based on the each of the four sketches in Figma.  

Fig 2.4 Wireframe 1 (15/2/2024)


Fig 2.5 Wireframe 2 (15/2/2024)


Fig 2.6 Wireframe 3 (15/2/2024)



Fig 2.7 Wireframe 4 (15/2/2024)

Revised Data Collection

Unfortunately misunderstand on using LATCH principles to collect data. So, I have redo the data collection.

Chespin Evolution: 

  • Kalos / Chespin / Gen 6 / Grass Type / Stage 1
  • Kalos / Quilladin / Gen 6 / Grass Type / Stage 2
  • Kalos / Chesnaught / Gen 6 / Grass Type / Stage 3

Mareep Evolution: 

  • Kalos / Mareep / Gen 2 / Electric Type / Stage 1
  • Kalos / Flaaffy / Gen 2 / Electric Type / Stage 2
  • Kalos / Ampharos / Gen 2 / Electric Type / Stage 3
Charmander Evolution: 
  • Kalos / Charmander / Gen 1 / Fire Type / Stage 1
  • Kalos / Charmeleon / Gen 1 / Fire Type / Stage 2
  • Kalos / Charizard / Gen 1 / Fire Type / Stage 3
Wailmer Evolution: 
  • Kalos / Wailmer / Gen 3 / Water Type / Stage 1
  • Kalos / Wailord / Gen 3 / Water Type / Stage 2


Creating the Infographic

Finally, I pick the first wireframe as the concept of the infographic poster. I rearranged, according to the data I collected. 


Fig 2.8 Revised Wireframe 1 (16/2/2024) 

I search though Pinterest on deciding a color schemes. for the infographic poster. The theme I am going for is either nostalgia or playfulness, to reflect on Pokémon how impact fans from all ages and lengthy history.


Fig 2.9 Color Scheme from Pinterest (16/2/2024)


Fig 2.10 Photoshop progress: Arranging the content (16/2/2024)


Fig 2.11 Photoshop progress: Adding subheading to each Pokémon (16/2/2024)


Initial Final Outcome
Once I finish my infographic I poster send my work to 
Mr. Shamsul though WhatsApp for feedback. He commented that the legend and the title should switch places and change the background. For the background of the poster, I change It a color different color and tone down intensity of the texture.
  

Fig 2.12 LATCH Infographic poster (16/2/2024)


Final Outcome

Fig 2.13 Final LATCH Infographic Poster (18/2/2024)


 FEEDBACK

Week 1
  • Use the design principles to determine the arrangement the objects.
  • Be considerate on how the chart is visually presented to the viewers.
Week 2
  • Sketches 1, 2 and 3 are OK, Sketch 1's concept is overused.
  • The arrangement of Final Design looks fun. 
  • The title of the Final Design can be place on the top for better visual flow.
  • The background of the Final Design should be change into something else.

REFLECTION

Experience
Working on the exercises are interesting experience. Specially Exercise 1, where we use mundane objects as data collection. I also learn that collection can look interesting with an engaging presentation. The second exercise was a fun experience since I am able to analyze video game character.  which allows me to experiment on different types of designs.   

Observation
Exercise 1 is the one I struggle with. Because I am not good at creating a physical presentation and the fact, I have wide variety of buttons making it hard to filter out the content. I thought I was supposed to present every data but now I know that it makes the categorization complicated.

Findings
For the presentation of Exercise 1, I look though the internet inspiration, but none of them seem to be the right fit. Considering that the presentation's purpose conveys the information sometimes I am unsure whether or not if the presentation is too confusing.

Comments