Intercultural Design | Final Compilation & Reflection

5.2.2024 - 29.3.2024 (Week 1 - Week 8)
Caitlin Ong Lynn Dee / 0343801 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Intercultural Design
Final Compilation & Reflection


CONTENTS


LECTURE


INSTRUCTION

 


Project 1: Proposal

A proposal to concretize ideas, supported by research, for the final design revolving a given theme that reflects students' understanding and interpretation of global issues and design aesthetics. 

Group Members:

  1. Alexis Hew YuChen
  2. Nadya Fuad Abdallah
  3. Li Jin
  4. Ser Chen
  5. Hannah Chong Jing Xuen
  6. Caitlin Ong Lynn Dee

Group 40 formed a Whatsapp to discuss ideas and brainstorm ideas on a theme. A decision was made to concentrate on the Malaysian Chinese wedding tea ceremony. Each member made sketches and a 200-word rationale on our different approaches to the agreed topic to be shared with each team member. Group Leader, Alexis compiled all our ideas and sketch ideas in one Canva presentation. We also created videos to explain our ideas of our sketches.  Group Leader then view all videos, she them made it into one Team Video.


My Part of the Project

My intention for the design of the teapot is to fuse old style and new style of Chinese teapot to signify how tea is given based on seniority. And I add a mandarin duck motif to symbolize the prosperous life of the bride and groom.

Fig 1.1 My Teapot Sketch (17/2/2024)


Final Outcome

Fig 1.2 Final Proposal Presentation Slides (26/2/2024)

Fig 1.3 Final Proposal Presentation Video (26/2/2024)


Project 2: Field Study

For our Project 2 we are supposed to collect data about the culture that is relevant to the theme from our research proposal. 

Requirement:
We are supposed to collect four types of artefacts that will be part of our research materials for the ideation in Project 1.

Type of artefacts:

  • Visual
  • Oral 
  • Textual
  • Tactile 

My Part of the Project

Oral Artefacts
For the Oral 
artefacts research, I got in touch with my mother's friends to explain their experiences in during a tea ceremony. 

Tea Ceramony Testimony #1
It was a moments moment when I have my bride serve my mom tea at my wedding. My mom has always been my pillar of strength. She has always given me the best advice and have always supported me in whatever I indulge. It was my proudest moment to have my wife also share that feeling with me and presented my mom with tea. My mom as the strong woman she is, accepted my wife with open arms and immediately put me at ease that now I have the two most important women in my life .in my life.

Fig 2.1 Tea Ceramony Photos for Testimony #1 (7/3/2024)


Tea Ceramony Testimony #2
Woke up early for this day. Excited as today I become a husband. As I welcome my bride into my home, it was a feeling that now I would have one person to care for, for the rest of her life. The first person to have tea presented was my grandma. I still remember the time when she took care of us during our holidays when mom and dad were working. Now, I stand upon her presenting her with my bride and paying our respects to her by offering her tea marking the beginning of my life as a husband, the head of 
the family.

Fig 2.2 Tea Ceramony Photo Testimony #2 (7/3/2024)


Visual and Textual Artefacts
I also help to write down the visual artefact and the textual artefacts.

Fig 2.3 Description of the Visual Artefact in Google Doc (7/3/2024)

Fig 2.4 Description of the Textual Artefact in Google Doc (7/3/2024)


Final Outcome

Fig 2.5 Final Field Study Presentation Slides (7/3/2024)


Final Project

With the completion of the data collection and the proposal, we shall conduct an experimental design that is related to our interpretation toward the given theme. 

My Part of the Project

We decide to create an isometric 3D Illustration showcasing the design of the overall tea ceremony set up. We are assigned to sketch 5 different type of objects that can be found in a Chinese wedding tea ceremony. Ranging from chairs, tea set, knee pad, wall decoration and flower stand. I choose to wall decoration.

Fig 3.1 Voting poll on WhatsApp (12/3/2024)


Wall decoration Sketches

Draft
I have gone with references on the wall decoration and the most common decoration are flowers, curtains and the double happiness character "囍" as the main focal point.


Fig 3.2 Wall decoration Draft (14/3/2024)


Final Sketch
From the feedback from Alexis the curtain needs to be replaced with actual design, so I created the phoenix and dragon design to represent the married coupe and improve the design for the double happiness character "囍"


Fig 3.3 Final Wall decoration (19/3/2024)


Final Project Progress

Alexis used Womp 3D to do the Isometric 3D illustration and use procreate to drawing the wall decorations.  

Fig 3.4 Final Project Process Phase 1 (26/3/2024)

Fig 3.5 Final Project Process Phase 2 (27/3/2024)

Fig 3.6 Final Project Final Phase (27/3/2024)


Final Outcome

Fig 4.1 Final Design Presentation Slides (27/3/2024)

Fig 4.2 Final Design Presentation Video (27/3/2024)

Fig 4.3 Peer Evaluation (27/3/2024)


REFLECTION

Experience 
Initially, I felt there was some miscommunication. in group discussion, there were times when I proposed an idea, but the group members seem to be lost on what I was trying to put forth. The MLB states we had to research on a sub-culture, I spoke of the Malay, Chinese and Indian cultures, but they were talking about the punk rock cultures, hipster culture and fashion culture. At the end when they realized it is the Malay, Chinese and Indian culture and I had photos of real wedding scenarios and real testimonies, but the group members thought those were not connected to what the group was doing. I then, went along with along with all the ideas and to do list. 

Observation
Funnily, during class time, the group seems disinterested to discuss further on the topic and look into group progress. The group members seem to be more interested in doing the discussion online and not in class, face to face! We did all of our discussions on WhatsApp

Finding
The group worked on discussion via WhatsApp, in class when I tried to text where they were to meet and check progress, they never seem to respond, thus I would also give up in looking them up and was contented to discuss via WhatsApp. We seem to agree and work on the project in a non-face to face manner. But, as it's a group work, I would work on the decisions made in a majority.

Comments