Information Design | Project 1

20.2.2024 - 27.3.2024 (Week 3 - Week 4)
Caitlin Ong Lynn Dee / 0343801 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Information Design
Project 1


CONTENTS


LECTURE


INSTRUCTION




Project 1: Instructible Infographics Poster

Our task is to select one recipe from Pasta Grannies, study the video and break down the preparation and cooking process into chunks. The information must be conveyed in a form of an infographic poster. The infographic poster's design must capture the grandma's personality and unique dish identity, as it is part of the narrative structure. Moreover, the infographic poster should be able to transmit a set of instructions and at the same time educated the audience.

Requirement:

  • Use Graphs, charts, and diagrams. 
  • Poster size: 1240 x 1750 pixels or 2048 x 2048 pixels 


Chosen Video

Among all of the Pasta Grannies Video I choose to use calcioni which is made by Grandma Rita.


Fig 1.1 Pasta Grannies:How to make calcioni video (20/2/2024) 


Sketches

Looking though Pinterest for inspiration. And I have created six sketches to plan the infographic's layout. 

Fig 1.2 Infographic from Pinterest (20/2/2024)


Fig 1.3 Idea Sketches (20/2/2024)


Themes

I analyzed the video in order to get a full grasp on Rita's personality. From my understand, Rita is more reminiscent of the past as she uses the knowledge of what she has learnt in her youth, and she uses old fashion techniques like using a key to seal the calcioni dough. Since the calcioni is considered as a rustic dish in Italy, I decided that my infographic will have a retro aesthetic.

Fig 2.1 Mood board (21/2/2024)

Color Scheme 
I looked through Pinterest to find suitable earth color scheme. In the end I choose the one in the very left shown in Fig 2.2.

Fig 2.2 Selection of Color Schemes from Pinterest (21/2/2024)


Fig 2.3 Chosen Color Schemes (21/2/2024)

Asset Art style Inspiration
For my assets I researched for inspiration to recreate the appropriate art style for the infographic

Fig 2.4 Food Illustrations from Pinterest (21/2/2024)

Font Style 
I look though Google Fonts to find the appropriate font for the infographic poster. The font I am going for is a Sans serif and handwritten font.

Fig 2.5 Font Selection form Google Font


Wireframe

I picked sketch 3 as my chosen layout. While working on the infographic in Photoshop I wrote down all of information down and plan out the flow of the information.


Fig 2.6 Infographic poster Wireframe (21/2/2024)


Creating the Assets

I have created illustrations in Procreate each and every one of them that showcase all of the step- buy step process of making the calcioni.


Fig 3.1 Calcioni Sketches process (24/2/2024)

Fig 3.2 Step 1 illustration process (24/2/2024)

Fig 3.3 Step 2 illustration process (24/2/2024)

Fig 3.4 Step 3 illustration process (24/2/2024)

Fig 3.5 Step 4 illustration process (24/2/2024)

Fig 3.6 Step 5 illustration process (24/2/2024)

Fig 3.7 Step 6 illustration process (24/2/2024)

Fig 3.8 Step 7 illustration process (24/2/2024)

Fig 3.9 Step 8 illustration process (24/2/2024)
 

Creating the Infographic poster

Initial Final Outcomes

After I submit my final work, I was given feedback by Mr. Shamsul saying that I need to improve my work further. In my final work I change the typeface, rearrange the content and replace the old paper background to a wooden cheese board to fit in the rustic cooking aesthetic. 

Fig 4.1 Initial Final Infographic Poster No.1 (24/2/2024)


Refer to Project 2: 
Information Design Project 2 (0343801.blogspot.com)

During the process of Project 2, I found out the final Infographic aesthetic is unsuitable for a video format. Because of that the final outcome looks different. To remain consistency, I attempt to recreate the infographic poster's aesthetic to be faithful from the video.

Fig 4.2 Initial Final Infographic Poster No. 2 (1/3/2024)


Final Outcome

Fig 4.3 Final Infographic Poster (25/3/2024)


FEEDBACK

Week 3

  • Mr. Shamsul accepts Sketch 3 as my chosen composition. I should research on my chosen color, typeface and create the assets for my work.
Week 4

  • Make the calcioni image, smaller and refer to one of the references I pick out.


REFLECTION

Experience
Translating the information from the video into a poster was a challenging process. Mr. Shamsul advised that one of the most important priorities is to make the poster easily understood and yet create it visually appealing. The art direction was challenging as it has to fit the personality of the presenter in the video and also to fit the concept of the origin country of the spread. 

Observation
During the process of creating the poster I was completely stuck on the compositions and the art direction, and I struggled to find references that is easy to follow and yet not overload with too much information. But thanks Mr. Shamsul's, feedback I managed to further improve the composition.

Findings
It took me awhile to come up with a concept art direction to properly arrange the contents of the infographic poster. I went on into project 2 only to be able to see the whole concept and visualize the art direction. I had to take a step back and not overthink the concept to be able to finalize my art direction.

Comments